Mariatu Kamara

Mariatu Kamara
Mariatu Kamara

Thursday, April 28, 2011

reaction to The Bite Of The Mango

As I read the bite of the mango, Mariatu Kamara’s book that describes the things she had to go to , and gives a breathtaking description of her life and the hardships she endured, I felt myself go through many different phases of thought. I feel as if the book has helped to open my eyes and give me a glimpse of a life so different from my own. I have lived a life of comfort, where the world is at my fingertips, and I have experienced so many luxurious privileges that some can only hope to experience. Mariatu's life was in stark contrast to that after rebels destroyed her home.
My life has been sheltered, sometimes unintentionally and sometimes on purpose, and I have never known the true meaning of violence. Mariatu’s story helped me broaden my view and gave me something to ponder. She described very violent and painful things that I still don’t fully understand, nor do think I will ever be able to unless I experience in the first person violence of the magnitude that Mariatu went through, which I can only hope will never happen.
One of the things that struck me deepest was that Mariatu was able to forgive. She was able to let go of her resentments and grudges and not be blinded by them. I can’t even forgive someone for saying some unkind words this morning. The strength and wisdom with which Mariatu Kamara composes herself with is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment